Thursday 17 April 2014

Edwardian afternoons.


This is me. Every Thursday afternoon. And I am in my element.

I mentioned a few posts ago that I get to spend the day sewing various bits of period costume in an Edwardian house. Well, now I get to wear them, too!

I glide (as one does in a corset) about the house, talking to visitors, answering their questions on Edwardian clothing, helping the children try on the little dresses and sailor suits we've made for them, and take afternoon strolls around the gardens, parasol in hand. And I really love it. 


This was today's attire. We have a store of what I believe to be over 60 costumes, both day and evening wear, each with their own accessories, that have been made over the years, and I get to work my way through the wardrobe with a different outfit almost every week. The blouse is made by myself, and here you can find a post about it.


I'm also wearing a full set of underwear, so it can get a little warm under all those layers, as you can imagine...


I don't remember manage to take photos of every outfit, but this one here is from a few weeks back, and is an original Edwardian suit, and one of my favourite costumes. The colour, the details, the fit, are all just lovely. 

It truly is a great experience, with many interesting conversations. 

People hardly believe me when I tell them just how comfortable a corset really is!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts!